Our President Mr Shivnay Naidu attended the Microsoft (MS) Ignite conference held in Sky City Tower, Auckland, New Zealand from 24th – 28th Oct 2016.
Microsoft (MS) Ignite is a conference where all renown ICT Vendors come together to display their products together with parallel sessions on MS products, applications and technologies (Internet of Things – IOT). These are mostly innovations in ICT where the participants can directly meet with the engineers and their products. There are lots of live demonstrations and presentations including hands-on practical activities. This is organized by Microsoft Corporation where their latest product releases and future products are displayed and discussed with participants including its applied use in various sectors and scenarios.
Objectives of the Conference
- Address knowledge gaps, opportunities and challenges in the industry through collaboration with industry experts. (Connect)
- Microsoft Exam Cram Sessions to prepare for specialty product area for Microsoft certifications (Learn)
- Keynote address to inspire on the latest in Microsoft products and in ICT arena for innovation (Innovate)
The key method of delivery was presenter led sessions with PowerPoint slides, videos and product demonstrations during classroom sessions whilst the Hub (Place for all product demonstrations) allowed for one-one interaction with product vendors.
Microsoft Ignite started with the Keynote which was opened with talks and demonstrations on the highlights of this years’ innovations. Some of the highlights of this session were:
(1) Microsoft HoloLens with Controllers – Self-contained, holographic computer, enabling engagement with digital content and interact with holograms in the world around you. A sample also showed on its use in Health Industry by scanning a person and diagnosing the defects based on Boolean data sets compiled previously on simple “yes/no” questions. This was piloted particularly with older people to diagnosis them accurately when speech or mental ability were of concern.
(2) Microsoft Surface Hub – A TV like device which is fully intelligent and offers features where many people can work together. Fully integrated with Skype for business that allows video conferencing and multi-user interaction.
(3) Visual Studio – Now Applications can be designed once and deployed for many other device. These could be Desktop, Mobile, Tablet, Server or it be Windows, Android, iOS or it be C#, C++, Java, VB, Perl including any location be it be Suva, Lautoka, Kadavu or even Australia. In other words Visual Studio now supports code management, source control, integration, collaboration, platform independent, and many other new features. Visual Studio is now integrated with Add-ons like Xamarin Tester as well. [www.peopletracker.us]
(4) Microsoft Azure – Cloud Platform now comes with Virtual Machine Testing and Upgrading on the fly. Another package with this platform is AzureBot which provides accessibility of Any Operating Systems. It also has features where the systems can be administered from chat channels i.e Skype and fully integrated with MS Office 365.
(5) Microsoft Bing Analytics – Intelligent Platform which is able to learn from its surroundings. It is able to get scripts/recognizes objects from a picture, video and any graphics content as well. The application for its use is for the blind people in which case they wear a pair glasses which further translates its surroundings and speaks that out via earphone to the blind person. Thus, he is able to know his surroundings and where he is. The other application of this product has been determining the age of a person based on visual read by it.
(6) Machine Learning – Understanding the data and making predictions. This technology uses the history data and other external factors to do predictions. The environment now comes with lots of algorithms. The technology have been used also for aged healthcare for prior warnings as well.
(7) Innovation Techniques – Microsoft Insider Team’s motivational talk on Innovation. The process of Innovation and doing something different that will change the world by Donna Sarkar.
(8) There were multiple presentation sessions running in parallel running parallel across buildings at the Sky City Arena. There was also a floor dedicated for vendors for product demonstrations called the Hub plus one-on-one session with industry experts when necessary.
The Keynote – Opening of Microsoft Ignite
One of the many booths in the Hub. This booth is a cloud based data analysis and reporting for Breast Cancer Cases.
The Hub – Different Vendors around the globe present their latest product trends. The presenters include Sales and Engineering staff. For Product technical details, the engineers demonstrate the working model of the setup. The team is also there to meet up for discussions whereby our scenario can be presented and the team advices on which model or version is applicable to MoHMS. Hands-on was also available whereby the users can test on the durability and features of those products. The demonstrated products included products from Citrix, Lenovo, Plantronics, Pluralsight, Polycom, Telerik, Beca, Crossware, Flexera, Honeywell, Aspose, Datacom and HP. Cloud Storage and Security options by Commvault, Nimble Storage, Nutanix, Veeam, StorageCraft, Paloalto, Rackspace, PureStorage, Revera, TrendMicro and Checkpoint. These technologies can allow MoHMS to improve its accessibility, faster and secured data storage mechanisms.
Session Rooms – There were more than 215 Sessions held during the conference with around 10 sessions running simultaneously. These classroom sessions were not only lectures but included product demonstrations with real-life applications. There were few minutes towards the end where the participants could meet with the presenters for detailed information. These presenters were engineers who actually designed the product so not only the final product was demonstrated, but the design story too was shared during the sessions including lessons learnt along the way.
The tools and technologies demonstrated can certainly assist a lot in eHealth. The major areas of potential investment and application of these learning are telemedicine, national communication mechanisms, disk and cloud storage, databases, network and cloud security, portable computing, training, cloud computing and also business intelligence reporting.
For more information , please visit:
Finally, sincere gratitude and acknowledgement to Gemba360 for its full support and sponsorship for making this travel possible and a pleasant one.